Order Of The Phoenix

Marauders Forever

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
House Points
Slytherin and Ravenclaw are cooler than you.
Similar topics
El Zombi Pequeño
Affiliates

Share | 

A Trip to the Coffeehouse

Go down 
AuthorMessage
this modern glitch.
Ravenclaw
Ravenclaw

House : Ravenclaw and Burkenshire

PostSubject: A Trip to the Coffeehouse   Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:29 am

Another English assignment! Coffeehouses were important in the era of literature we were studying, so we had to travel to one and write a paper on what we observed--the people, the atmosphere, and how the purpose of a coffeehouse today relates to back then. It's not fantastic, but it's points for Ravenclaw.

I pull into the parking lot and get out of my car. I walk past a line of tables and chairs, empty save for the middle-aged man typing in his blackberry, his tea sitting on the table, untouched. It is a beautiful day outside, and I am a bit surprised that no one else is sitting there. I walk through the doorway, immediately overwhelmed by the pervading scent of freshly brewed coffee. The lighting is low, with scattered low-hanging lights and screen-covered windows. The music is soft and easy to listen to, although I am familiar with none of it, and the whirring of machines can be heard as the coffee beans are crushed and brewed. The green, orange, and yellow walls make the establishment seem cozy, although they are betrayed by the gray ceiling lined with piping. The floor is threaded, with strands of blue and brown matching the upholstery of the armchairs and sofas spread liberally throughout the room. The other furniture is all wood, adding to the cozy (yet modern) feel.

I walk with my dad up to the front counter, past the mug displays and the baked goods section, past the table in the corner with creamer, sugar, honey, and an array of pamphlets on rewards cards and how the coffeehouse and HP were “teaming up.” When I get to the front counter, I look at the menu up on the wall; the coffeehouse has a wide array of drinks available, such as standard coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and more specialized drinks, like mochas and espressos. My dad orders a coffee, while I get hot chocolate. I am not much of a coffee drinker.

We pick out a set of armchairs and sit down. My dad pulls out the newspaper, while I read a book for a history assignment, occasionally stopping to jot down some notes. Other people there are doing similar things. There is a girl in the corner focusing intently on her work, with her flashcards spread out across the table and her earphones shoved firmly into her ears to block out the group of loud teenage girls with their laptops out at the next table. In the tables adjacent to her, there are two men, both sitting alone, and both reading their newspapers. On the other side of the room, there are the “loud” customers, most of which are sitting in pairs. There is the pair of students doing their homework together, discussing trigonometry functions and their graphs. An older woman and a friend are the quiet ones in that half of the room, catching up on old news in hushed tones. Then, there are three different couples, all in their twenties, chatting amiably about anything they can think of, from work, to family, to music.

The function of the coffeehouse today is very similar to that of the eighteenth century, although more universal. Today, coffeehouses are places for everyone to come to congregate, instead of just the middle class men. People still use the coffeehouse to have intellectual conversations, but it now is also the center for groups of people catching up on the everyday events of their lives. Also, it is common these days for people to go to coffeehouses for an internet connection, or to get some studying done. A coffeehouse is the perfect place for doing some quiet reading or homework, because of the laid back, comfortable atmosphere. It is this atmosphere that made my trip pleasant.

Tsuki is fantastic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
josettes.
Ravenclaw
Ravenclaw

House : Ravenclaw/Meriwether

PostSubject: Re: A Trip to the Coffeehouse   Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:44 am

This did three things for me.

a) I want coffee.

b) I want to hang out in a coffeehouse ALL the time in college.

c) I want you to write all my papers for me, forever.

Moony Wormtail Padfoot Prongs's anagram name is GO! WOLF MONOTONY PROMPTS A RAID
THANK YOU PADFOOT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
this modern glitch.
Ravenclaw
Ravenclaw

House : Ravenclaw and Burkenshire

PostSubject: Re: A Trip to the Coffeehouse   Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Razz

b) I can't blame you. I love the atmosphere, even though I don't drink coffee. *nods*

c) No, you don't. Trust me on that one. Razz

Tsuki is fantastic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Trip to the Coffeehouse   

Back to top Go down

A Trip to the Coffeehouse
Page 1 of 1